Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Following on......

Wow.... I do not have any other words to describe Hesh's blog. It just started a whole train of thoughts in my mind which left me reminiscing the test match all over again(during office hours after a long vacation, with lots of work to do, he he) but I do not have any single point to add on the match which Hesh hasn't mentioned(May be Dravid's spill of Steve Waugh and the whole " you just dropped the Test match mate" but it actually reinforces the point he made, it was theatrical but it wasn't match fixing!!), so I would actually write about my experience of watching the greatest test match of the decade.


Day 1: Those were the days when I used to sit before TV at 8.30 when the match itself starts at 9am regardless of whether it was one day or test or whether India is batting or not, or India is leading the series or trailing it. Toss won by Steve Waugh and he decides to bat, and a small flicker of fear trickles its way into my mind...the last time India lost the toss at Eden Gardens was against South Africa and they lost that match comprehensively(though there was a gem from Azhar) and that gets reinforced when Slater and Hayden start brightly, with nothing in the pitch and a toothless pace attack(no offence to Khan and Prasad, but they were bad that day) I was having half a mind to go to college in the afternoon, with Hayden looking strong, and even though Slater got out, Langer was giving Hayden excellent company and at tea Aussies were truly on top.

I decided, I would go to my friend's place, as I couldn't watch any more and just as I was about to leave Hayden got out to an ill judged shot, and was caught at the deep. I decided to stay back, partly due to India getting a wicket, and also Mark Waugh was coming in to bat, and for the next 30 minutes it was like watching your lover dancing with somebody else(you can't stop watching her dance and admire it,but it still leaves a bitter taste in your mouth) as he was caressing the ball all over the park.

Probably the only person, who was actually saying India has a chance to get even with the Aussies now, was Ian Chappell who was constantly saying Bhajji was bowling well( I could'nt see any difference because Waugh and Langer were playing him easily) but Zaheer came back to dismiss Langer to have Steve Waugh at the crease and I was praying for a run out(another famous Steve quote- there is always a collapse after a run out), the collapse did happen and how!!!

Mark was beaten by a lowly straighter one from Bhajji with Mongia taking a good catch, and Ponting coming in(he was yet to become Harbhajan's bunny!!!) and also looking determined(later we would come to know that it was terror!!!) I wasnt looking for anything special but post tea sessions of any India-Aus tests, would become very significant, exciting, controversial in the coming years and it all started with this session.

Ponting was trapped in front by a straighter one again, and probably the controversial decision of the match-Gilchrist given out lbw the next ball,from round the wicket, though at first look, the ball did hit the back pad, believe it or not, my mom preparing coffee in the kitchen actually said,"Don't worry, Warne is going to get out and Bhajji is taking the hat-trick". Even before she finished the sentence, Ramesh had taken a blinder("probably his most significant contribution to Indian cricket") and the Aussies were on the ropes. Another moment I remember was Steve Waugh signalling for a helmet immediately after Warne got out, which gave me a small shiver,(Me being a Steve Waugh fan, would know the signs, Aussie on the back foot, only with tail enders for company you would not want him to start concentrating) and he was there till the end of the day with Gillespie.


Day 2: I have had many depressing cricketing days in my life, and this would probably be in the top 5. It was as if everything was going against India-umpires, pitch, luck, fate, and the Aussies sensing it were pounding them with pile drivers right in the centre. But this day, probably had what I believe the "Butterfly effect" moment of the match with umpire S.K.Bansal ruling Gillespie not out to a caught behind appeal that was so obvious that Gillespie was actually looking for the hammer to fall from the umpire!!! The moment the appeal was turned down, I knew that this wasn't gonna be our day, and I had a class to attend to in the morning, and we were going for a movie afterwards, so didnt know anything about the score(those were the Neandarthal days-pre cell phone, pre cricinfo) but we came back later to my friends place, where I was gleefully told the score that India's score was 110/7 and then I was asked a whole series of questions as to what the Indian players would be doing for the rest of the two days, will they tour Calcutta or will come to Chennai and hang in Marina Beach...some unparlimentary comments too which couldnt be typed in here.

One of them went as far to bet that if India took the match to the 4th day, he would do whatever I asked him to do!


Day 3- I didnt watch the match in the morning, because I left early, came to know that India was all out for 171(the first significant number of the match!!) and were following on. To be frank, at that moment, I had no idea about Headingley 81 and the heroics of Ian Botham, so was replaying all the other follow on situations in my mind and how likely India can salvage some pride...

We were in college sitting in class when one of the guys came very downcast saying Sachin was gone, and banged the bench so hard, that made us afraid if the lecturer next room could have heard it.

Then the class erupted in confusion...All because of the question -who is at the crease?

Ans: Laxman and Ganguly

Why did Ganguly promote himself to no.3? was the question doing the rounds when the guy clarified that Laxman had come to the crease at 3 and was playing quite well and that may be he will replace Dravid in the next match for the No.3 position, and how Dravid is going to have tough time to get back into the team.

At the end of the day, when I checked the scores I was a little happy, even though India may lose the match, I still have something to cheer about, I had won the bet!


Day 4: Left early again in the morning without switching on the TV, and absolutely didnt even think about it when around 12.30, while passing a group of guys, I heard that Laxman and Dravid were still at the crease. The first thought in my mind was, now this guy is kidding right? Asked them the score and was told that by lunch India were 376/4(376-the second significant number!!!). I dropped all pretense and rushed straight to my friend's home to watch the reminder of the "Rope-a-Dope"- Aussies unfamiliar with being counterattacked were wilting under the pressure, Waugh was looking grumpy, Mcgrath listless, and Warne as if he had no clue what was going on...and on the other hand, Laxman was painting a masterpiece, but wait a minute who was the other guy batting alongside him? This was probably the first match in which Dravid realised his potential when he stays positive in approach(it would pay rich dividends in the next match when he would play probably in my opinion his best innings!!!) The best example was the way he tackled Warne-while Lax was using his height to get to the pitch of the ball Dravid was dancing down the track when Warne came around the wicket. Laxman going past Gavaskar as the then highest scorer with an inside out cover drive, Dravid pointing his helmet at the press box after his century would forever be etched in my memory. All my thoughts for Day 5 were this- play till lunch and dont give the Aussies time and we should surely draw this match which is a fantastic achievement.

Day 5- One of my friends had some work to be done, and he didnt want to go at it alone,and called me, I couldnt say no, so went with him which took me most part of the morning and I came just after lunch at my friend's place to watch Hayden and Slater playing at the target of 384 runs.I was a little bit disappointed that Laxman couldnt get 300, and was horrified when Prasad dropped a regulation sitter of Slater.Slater isnt a slow poke and if Gilchrist comes at 3 and they stay there for 30 overs anything could happen, only for Slater to get out to Bhajji once again, and by this time we could see that Bhajji takes wickets in clusters and wasnt surprised when he got Langer top edging a sweep to short fine leg.

Raju got into the act with his only wicket(his last wicket in Test cricket!!) of the match, an absolute beauty to get Mark Waugh, and we watched in horror as Dravid dropped Steve Waugh at short leg of Bhajji("You just dropped the test match mate").

At tea, with Hayden and Waugh still batting, the only thought in my mind was, from here India can't lose, 18-0 wouldnt happen, and we have a great chance of levelling in Chennai, and the final frontier still stands(off course I didnt know at the moment that a draw would have given Aus the trophy!). But, the first day post tea session was a cracker, how would this one be?

Well, this one made that look like a benign lake! And the surprise factor was Sachin coming to pick 3 of the 7 wickets to fall! Waugh gone exactly the same way he was dropped, Badani taking the catch, Ponting to a stroke which would have all our friends ROTFL even now, Gilly to a perfect leg break, Warne to a beauty of a googly that even he would never bowl in his career, Hayden again to a similar shot of Gilly's LBW, but then Gillespie and Kasper delayed the impossible, and I saw the final Mcgrath wicket alone at my friend's house and for another 5 minutes was just staring in disbelief at what just happened....

In my opinion this would be the greatest test match of all in my life time and I can't imagine another to follow on its steps. But again...one cant't be sure what will happen while following on isnt it??

P.S- I asked my friend to run up and down the street he lived shouting Indian team is the best 3 times for losing the bet. Fair guy, he did it too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment