Monday, February 22, 2010

Strange incidents

"The ball ricocheted off the stumps and went for a magnificient four" said the one and only entertainer par excellence Mr.RK in Neo Sports of that delivery to Nehra in the last over of the first ODI. I don't know which one was more entertaining - the incident or RK's magnificent description of that!

I have heard so many people (including some well known cricket writers and commentators) say that they have never seen any incident quite as weird as that on a cricket field. I do remember 2 weird instances which can match up to if not better this:

1) Mushtaq Ahmed bowled a flipper (I vaguely remember it as a flipper) to Pat Symcox in Faisalabad (this was the same series in which Azhar Mehmood and Ali Naqui made their debut) which went in between the off stump and the middle stump without disturbing the bails! I tried to google about this to confirm my memory and guess what? This incident is mentioned in Symcox's introduction in the player page in Cricinfo!

2) This memory is even more vague. Sometime around the mid 90's Star Sports used to telecast English County Championship matches. I remember a match in which the umpires decided to play without bails for sometime as there was heavy wind blowing across the ground because of which the bails kept on falling down even before the ball was delivered.

These are two top of the mind recalls. I am sure you guys can come up with more. Lets see if we can make a XI out of this...Over to you guys...

No comments:

Post a Comment